- 5 cups (1 600g bag) frozen berries (fresh is fine, too!)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons water, divided
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 2 lemons
- To a large pot, add berries, ½ cup water, and maple syrup. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, and cook until berries are heated through and sauce is bubbly.
- Stir together 2 tablespoons water and corn starch, and slowly stir into the sauce while cooking to thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve or refrigerate for later.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9″ pie plate or round cake pan
- In a large bowl, combine flour, egg, milk, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, lemon juice and zest with a whisk.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Slice into wedges and serve warm with berry sauce and whipped cream or yogurt as desired.